Summer Songs

Here in Florida, the first day of summer isn't the celebration that it was growing up in the north. The temperatures have been well above 80 degrees for what seems like eons. Growing up, 80 meant summer was here. Now, 95 is that sign.

Summer to me means having the radio cranking, American Top 40 or whatever radio station played the most songs without commercial interruption. Today, some of the songs that will always remind me of summer. Note that some of them have nothing to do with summer, it's just that they came out during that time frame.

I've been meaning to put these into an iPod playlist, but I haven't gotten around to it yet...

Summer Breeze-Seals and Crofts
I Can See Clearly Now-Johnny Nash (came out in the summer)
Cruel Summer-Bananarama
Saturday in the Park and If You Leave me Now-Chicago (the second came out in the summer)
Walking on Sunshine-Katrina and the Waves
Beach Baby-First Class
In the Summertime-Mungo Jerry
Moonlight Feels Right-Starbuck
Ariel Dean-Freedman
Love Will Find A Way-Pablo Cruise
Sealed With A Kiss-Brian Hyland
Fun In the Sun-Steve Harwell (of Smashmouth)
Summer in the City-Lovin Spoonful
Summer Song-Chad and Jeremy
Suddenly, Last Summer-Motels
Lido Shuffle-Boz Scaggs
Hot Fun in the Summertime-Sly and the Family Stone
Clair-Gilbert O'Sullivan
Soak Up the Sun-Sheryl Crow
Circle in the Sand-Belinda Carlisle
Brown Eyed Girl-Van Morrison
Kokomo-Beach Boys
Under the Boardwalk-The Drifters
In the Summertime-Mungo Jerry
Hello, It's Me-Todd Rundgren
Send My Heart-Adventures
Wild Wild West-Escape Club
Take It To the Limit-Eagles
Build Me Up, Buttercup-Foundations
Hope you enjoy the trip down memory lane through summers past and songs that take you back to laying on the beach, hanging at a barbeque, sitting on a towel by the pool and other fun times. Feel free to share yours!

Happy Summer!

Comments

Kaoscapt said…
For me I'd have to add -

Pilot - Magic
Cheryl Crow - All I Wanna Do Is Have Some Fun
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Blinded By The Light
The Cult - Love Removal Machine

just for starters...
Joyce-Anne said…
You'll laugh, but my list would include Summer Nights from the Grease soundtrack. :-)
ligirl said…
"The Night Chicago Died" - Paper Lace, summer of '74!

I remember riding down Wantagh Parkway to Jones Beach with my cousin, in the back seat of my Aunt's Plymouth Satellite (yes, faster than the speed of light!) singing that song along with the car radio! (AM, of course...probably WABC!)
Suzanne said…
Ed,I concur with all of those! Harry Harrison upselling Magic sticks in my head!

Joyce, not a surprise. Good fun there.

Donna, I think all of us remember drives to the beach with the windows down and AM radio playing...
Jennifer S said…
That's a great list.

I would have to add "Wide Open Spaces" from the Dixie Chicks.

Popular posts from this blog

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Wal Mart Your Zone $500.00 Gift Card Contest!

Webmaster Alex speaks Anonymously